Thursday, March 14, 2013

My Literal Soapbox

So, I've been thinking a lot about soap lately. Why? Well, it all started with my recent efforts to minimize waste while maximizing our budget for such things.

A while back, I discovered a multitude of quarter-full bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and liquid hand soap hidden in the deepest corners of our cupboards. After combining and re-bottling everything, I ended up with loads of full bottles: 2 bottles of conditioner, 1 large bottle of shampoo, 2.5 small bottles of liquid hand soap to be exact.

I felt like I won the lottery.

What is it about conditioner, anyway? We never use nearly as much conditioner as we do shampoo. So, there's always this surplus of the stuff. So, I got to thinking. I wonder what other uses there are in the world for this modern elixir that we call hair conditioner. Turns out, it makes for an awesome after-shave lotion. We have that tea tree, peppermint stuff too... leaves my legs super smooth and nice and cool after a shave.

Who knew?

Several weeks later, we were nearly out of my re-allocated bottles of liquid hand soap. I decided to do my own little science experiment. After all it's just soap, right? So, I added some lotion to some dish soap, gave it a shake and called it good. I wasn't a big fan of the consistency, but it did the job just as well. A day or so later, I discovered a tiny little phrase on that same bottle of dish soap. Right under "Dish Soap" in tiny little letters, I found the words "and antibacterial hand soap."

Ever since, the wheels in my head have been turning and turning. Shampoo, conditioner, liquid hand soap, dish soap, bar soap, body wash, face wash... so many kinds of soap, but are they really all that different? Or, are we just trained to think we need a special type of soap for every little thing we choose to keep clean?

The saga continues... I like to use facial cleansing wipes to remove my mascara before bed. Up until last week, I always used the Neutrogena brand. To save a few pennies, I decided to try the Costco version of the stuff. Oh, what a disappointment! They smell exactly like baby wipes. I feel like I'm wiping my face with butt wipes.

Now I'm convinced there's a big marketing scandal out there: same product, different packaging. Or, maybe it's just a slight twist on the original: a special scent or color to trick us into believing it's something different.

I'm beginning to wonder if our need for all these products is just one, big illusion.

How's that for a soapbox?


-Trisa

No comments:

Post a Comment