Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Great Debate

I would love to do something like this in our front yard someday!
I can just see our nieces and nephews running around
 this awesome maze.
Yesterday, Michael and I ventured to Mount Vernon with our good friend Jeffrey for an incredible day at the tulip fields. Captivated by the blankets of color, I began to imagine new possibilities for our garden.

And then it happened: the great, seemingly endless debate about how to plant our garden beds. This debate has been going on for several years now, and Michael keeps winning.

While wandering the beautiful display gardens at Rozengaard, poor Jeff had to endure our bickering.

I love, love, LOVE how our garden beds become full of life and color in the spring and summer. But, I'm not so fond of the dead, lifeless, brown beds during the winter.

I've been trying to convince Michael that there's a way to plant that will satisfy my need for year-long color. He argues that planting anything other than our fruits and vegetables will only reduce our crop production.

I'm not convinced.

What do you think?


3 comments:

  1. I love flowers too but Mike is right that planting other things will reduce your crop production. The question is, is maximizing crop production the most important thing or does beauty have value as well? Rosemary and bay trees are green year round and blueberries have beautiful fall color. You can overwinter broccoli and carrots and cabbage for some color (and crop production) during the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for compromise. Divide the planting boxes both front and back acreage, planting every other one with winter flowering plants!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great suggestions! We have plenty of space, I think, to make a reasonable compromise.... any real changes will likely depend on budget and the time/energy we're willing to put into it.

    Maria- we did a fall/winter crop of broccoli and Brussels last year. It was probably our most productive crop we've had- they sure love the cooler weather.

    We do have a section with blueberry plants (which I love!) and a space designated for our herb garden (the sage and rosemary stay pretty nice year round).

    ReplyDelete