Monday, June 7, 2010

From Mike - Day 1 and some answers

Thanks for following the blog and for asking questions. I love the facebook questions. Since we're just starting out there's still lots for us to figure out.

Today, I got reactions to telling people of our experiment ranging from "Wow" to "Are you crazy?"

Yep, we're crazy. And we love adventure and HATE grocery shopping.

I thought I'd answer all your facebook questions here, instead of facebook to keep the blog a little disconnected.

Chocolate, we'll get from some local chocolatiers. Meat, we will be getting from a farm. I'm hoping one that'll let me come out there and pick the cow, maybe feed her some hay, pat her on the head and say, "Hi cow. Pretty soon I'm going to eat you." Cows are cute. And yummy. For now, a local butcher will satisfy all the rules. Spices we're going to have to research and look hard to find them at a farmers market or somewhere. If we can't, then we'll be stuck buying them at a supermarket. For now, we have plenty to get us by for a few months. Wine we'll get from distributors since I won't drink only local. I'll still run the wine biz which means I'll have to get some wine from overseas. Sauces, I'll mostly be making from scratch.

This afternoon, we spent 3 hours in the yard even though our farm consultant had to reschedule. I harvested some Bok Choi and Trisa grabbed some radishes. I made stir fry with sesame oil, canola oil and chili powder and added the bok choi, radishes and chicken to it. I boiled some egg noodles in chicken broth and chili powder. It was tasty. We're going to run out of our frozen store bought chicken in a couple of weeks. Then we'll be going to a butcher or a farm, or some of our backyard ladies we'll be having for dinner.

Tomorrow will be our rescheduled farm consultation and our 3rd planting. We're planting more lettuce, spinach, cilantro, carrots and radishes. And we'll be planting for the first time Oregano, corn, cherry tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, sweet peppers, pumpkins, winter squash (that we're replacing), potatoes (2nd planting), pole beans and CORN. I can't wait for the corn.

I'm taking orders at work for fresh 100% organic veggie delivery. 1 lb of salad mix is $9 and 5 oz is $6. We harvest on Wednesday nights and I bring it in on Thursdays. We're not stingy so most people end up with about 1.25 pounds and 8 oz for the $9 and $6 tubs.

Pics of the garden will be posted in less than 48 hours for those of you who are curious to see what we're doing on the "farm."

Word up,

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment