Thursday, June 17, 2010

Plastic bags should never be used as barf bags

This week, we went on our first fishing adventure in hopes to return home with a cooler full of fresh fish! On the way to Westport, we realized that we would have to stop at a grocery store to pick up lunches for the next day. In the checkout line, the cashier (upon seeing the Dramamine), shared how his father was sick on the entire trip of their first fishing experience. I should have known this was a warning….

Later we arrived in the sweet town of Westport, which should really be called Motelport. Of all of the motels we could have chosen, we stayed at the Holiday Motel. Aside from the smell of cigarette smoke and the 80s motif, the Holiday Motel was the perfect fisherman’s motel. We unpacked our things, said “hello” to my parents, and went looking for a place to eat. We ended up at the Knotty Pine pub next to our motel – another non-smoking facility that reeked of cigarette smoke…. The bartender’s smoke break won over my drink order.

The next day, we awoke at 4:30 am, crawled into our fishing wear, and popped some Dramamine before heading to the charter. Once we arrived, Michael realized that he forgot his checkbook and ran all the way back to get it-- thankful that he wore his running shoes and not his rubber boots. When he made it back, he paid for my fishing license with our very last check.

After chatting for a while with our friendly Skipper, it was time to head out to sea. I knew that the ride would be bumpy at first, but I figured it wouldn’t last too long. About 10 minutes into the ride, I started to feel queasy. About 5 minutes later, what I had left of the” Knotty” pub food, was now in a plastic bag.

Throughout the hour long ride to the first fishing spot, I wasn’t alone. Just about everyone on the charter, with the exception of my mom and Michael, lost their breakfast. Finally, after about an hour of rough waters, we “stopped.” The motor was all that really stopped. The boat continued to rock and rock and rock and rock….

I attempted to join my family outside and to begin fishing (the whole reason I went on the boat). But every time I stood up, I lost a little more of that “Knotty” food…. until, of course, there was no more. So, needless to say, I didn’t do any fishing on this trip. I will, however, always be thankful for the beautiful salmon and sea bass, caught by my dear husband, Michael. From now on, I will stick to lake and river fishing!

Lessons Learned:

1.) Plan ahead- pack lunches with fixings from home so as not to have to stop at a grocery store!

2.) Just because you took Dramamine, doesn’t mean you can’t experience motion sickness.

3.) There is no end to sea sickness once it starts.

4.) A charter may be the one place where public vomiting is considered acceptable.

5.) Plastic bags should never be used as barf bags.

-Trisa

No comments:

Post a Comment