Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Breaking the Rules

As much as we try to plan ahead for our weekly grocery needs, there's really no way to plan for the occasional cravings for chocolate, ice cream, and/or potato chips. I think we should have made some allowance for these items in our "rules," right alongside cranberry juice.

Last night while gearing up to watch this season's first episode of "Chuck," I had a sudden craving for chocolate. I made mention of this to Michael. He interpreted my indirect communication as, "oh, you'd really like me to run to the store for chocolate." I attempted to brush this off, in honor of the "rules" of course..... and said something like, "no, I'm ok. if only I had some chocolate, but I'm ok." Michael took this to mean, "I better move fast and get some chocolate for my wishy washy wife before I regret it."

He then jumped in the car and drove to Albertson's (yes, the dreaded grocery store, so conveniently located 3 blocks from my house). He returned approximately 11 minutes later with the most beautiful assortment of chocolates (enough to last us through to the end of October) and 6 half gallons of ice cream. Apparently the ice cream was on sale, a bargain he just couldn't pass up.

We watched "Chuck" while savoring Tillamook's Mudslide ice cream, also known as "perfect chocolately goodness." Looking back, I'm thrilled at the outcome. But, I'm also feeling a bit guilty for breaking the rules. On the other hand, aren't we all entitled to a few guilty pleasures every now and then?

No comments:

Post a Comment