Wednesday, September 15, 2010

From the road

Today, I'm travelling for work so there won't be update on farm activities. I did want to update you on a rather simple epiphany I had today. I was sitting in my seat on the tarmac waiting for the plane to take off and I again (for about the millionth time) wondered to myself about why the windows are so darn low on a plane. My next thought was about how interesting I used to think watching the people on the tarmac doing there jobs was and how now I just don't care. The proverbial light bulb went off. How did I never put it together before? The windows are low so you can look DOWN when you look outside. This is just my latest theory. Who knows? maybe someone who is in the industry might comment on this blog and tell me it's for some completely different reason.

I went wine tasting today at four wineries in and around Sebastopol, CA. When I got to my hotel, the room wasn't ready yet. Which is funny because when I got to Oakland airport rental car company where I had my reservation, my car wasn't ready. In fact, there was no car. I asked how long it'll take to be ready. Are they just filling the tank, washing her, etc? Nope. No car. So I said, "what do we do when there's no car that you promised me?" The manager said to go to another company, bring in my contract before I leave and my receipt when I turn it in and FOX will reimburse me for the difference in the daily rate they would have charged me and how much I had to pay elsewhere. The only available car was a full size at National. I rented it. When I went to go get it, the lot attendant said they were out of their regular full size and told me to pick one of their "executive" cars. Ergo, I am driving a Mercury Grand Marquis today and tomorrow. Holy cow that thing is a land yacht. I LOVE it.

Here's a view from the windshield crossing the San Francisco Bay Bridge:



Yesterday, I found out that my coworker's trees were WAY bigger than he thought they were, and VERY complicated to get to the ground safely. We ended up cutting down the two alders, but leaving the Maple and the Cottonwood for the pros.
Here's the after photo of the two felled trees:




Can I just say that the song about the guy that walks around leaving scars and collects a jar full of hearts is rad to the max.


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment